Processing Services: Overview
Step 1: Producers
The producers we work with range from local farmers raising a few cattle a year for their own use and limited direct sales to small, regional branded program producers to national and international branded programs, where livestock is sourced from producers around the region.
Step 2: Animal Handling
Animals are delivered to our holding facility typically within 24 hours of processing. Animal welfare is a top priority: from the calmness of any staff working with the animals to the comfort of the holding area (food, water and shelter). Our chute system was designed by Temple Grandin’s design firm and Dr. Grandin herself visited the facility in 2009.
Step 3: Processing
Our skilled meat cutters bring years of experience to select the best prime cuts, trim thoroughly to reduce waste and expertly blend fat and meat proportions for specific grinds. Hanging weights and finished weights are compared daily to ensure consistency and best utilization.
Step 4: Further Processing
Depending on the customer, we use either the beef/bison we have processed or meat from other processors to add value to a variety of proteins, including pork, turkey and chicken.
- Ground Meat: We can present it in chubs, trays or bricks and create ready-to-grill patties.
- Portion Cutting: Exact-weight steaks, cubed stew/stir-fry steaks, and briskets and roasts are hand-cut to customer specifications.
- Sausage Production: Our sausage department works with customers to develop the desired seasoning, texture and cooking performance of a variety of fresh or cooked sausages.
- Cooked Sausage: State-of-the-art smokehouses produce ready-to-eat product ranging from hot dogs and cocktail wieners to summer sausages and snack sticks to brats and smoked sausages.
- Other Cooked Products: We also produce injected smoked turkey breasts, spiral-cut hams and peppered or plain bacon. We enjoy the challenge of adding new products and will consider any ideas from customers.
Step 5: Packaging/Labeling
For a facility our size, our distinguishing feature is the sophistication of our packaging and labeling capabilities. We have the appropriate inspections, certifications and equipment to get a small producer or brand’s product on any retail shelf.
Step 6: Shipping
From customer carry-out to distribution center delivery, our shipping department prepares product to meet the variety of our customers’ needs. They ensure product leaves our facility in vehicles that are appropriately clean and at appropriate temperatures.